Monday, April 1, 2013

New Moms Don't Have Time to Blog

So, since becoming a mom, I've neglected my blog.  I really wanted to record memories here to be able to look back at them & share them with Liam later in life because I know I won't remember everything.  I have failed.  I have a legitimate excuse, though, because being a new mom is time consuming.
Let's backtrack a little...
Liam was born on October 30, 2012.  Although I was trying for a Halloween baby, Liam had other plans.  I went to have a sonogram on October 29 because he was breach & we wanted to make sure he hadn't flipped.  The sonogram indicated that my amniotic fluid levels were incredibly low, so they admitted me to the hospital that afternoon.  After being hooked up to monitors all night & morning, my 8 lb 2 oz, 20 inches  bundle of joy was brought into the world via c-section at 12:04 pm.  If you're a mom, you will understand when I say it was hands down the best moment of my life.  Nothing can or ever will compare to it.  Even though I didn't exactly want a c-section, it doesn't really matter in the end how he got here.  The first thing they looked at was his right foot, because we were told it was clubbed, and in fact had pictures from sonograms done showing that it was.  God must have performed a miracle, because his foot is perfectly fine. It does have a scar-like line across it where it was turned in.  So to our friends who were praying about this situation, I can't thank you enough.  I'm so happy my baby doesn't have to go through years of living in casts and boots.
Now I'll give you a short synopsis of what our lives have been like since October 30... Liam became very fussy during feedings & would scream and fuss all evening, so he was diagnosed with reflux & colic.  He's out grown that (thank God).  He's not much of a sleeper, which can be very frustrating at times.  He was doing really well at night, sleeping from about 8:00-4:00, eating, and then going back to sleep but lately he's been up every 1-2 hours.  It sucks, but hoping we get through it soon.  Today he laid down for a nap in his crib & put himself to sleep for the very first time.  So proud of him...let's hope he continues to do this.  Liam is working really hard on cutting some teeth.  They seem to really bother him some days & not so much others.  This has been going on for 2 months now, so I hope any day now they just pop out.  He's also trying to sit up (getting really close) & he loves to roll over to his side but has only rolled over 360 degrees once.  Let me brag for a moment and say that he has rolled from his tummy to his back since he was a week old, however.
I went back to work in January, so in the mornings Liam goes to a home daycare in Sherman, just a few blocks from where I teach preschool, and in the afternoons he gets to come to work with me & be in the nursery.  He refused the bottle the day I dropped him off, but has since then started taking a sippy cup.  On Wednesdays we go to a breastfeeding/mommy support group at St. John's hospital.  I originally started going when Liam was just a few weeks old to get some help with breastfeeding.  There are lactation consultants there to help, & they also weigh your baby before and after you feed them so you can see how much they're eating.  It's been really nice to go & to meet other moms with young babies, and it also kept me going with breastfeeding when it was really tough.  ]
I'm off work this week & it is my goal to get Liam sleeping in his crib (don't judge me... he still sleeps in his rock & play in our room), and I'd also like to get him napping better.... pray for me :)
Being a mom has been amazing so far.  I love every minute of it, even the minutes he's screaming and won't take a nap.  It's so cool to watch him grow day to day & see how he changes... I feel like he's doing something new every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment